Things To Do During Your Holiday Work Schedule
Regardless of whether you take one day or a week for the holidays, there is definitely a different attitude in the workplace during this time of year. Until January 2nd most people are still in "holiday mode." If you are at work between now and the end of the year, here are a few suggestions on how to make the best use of your time:
- Clean up. A clean and orderly work area is always a motivator to get to work on the right task and not be so distracted. Use the old TRAF acronym as you clean up: Trash, Refer, Act and File to get things in order.
- Reflect. Take a moment to think about the activities of the year. What have you learned? What wisdom gained do you need to "carry over" to this year's projects and plans?
- Create your lineup for 2012. Get a head start on planning projects and tasks for the new year. Not just the task, but how to best accomplish it. When you are juggling elephants the tendency is simply to do it the quickest way you can. There may be a way that takes a little longer, but could yield better results.
- Connect. This may be the time to build a better relationship with one or more of the "performers" in your work area. Whose support do you need as you look to your goals for 2012?
- Set some goals. Yes, it's cliche, but it is the time to more fully plan what you want to accomplish in 2012. In just a few days the elephants will once again come running through the door and you're going to need to have your "acts" together if you don't want them to crush the outcomes that are most important to you.