Make 'Em Laugh
A simple lesson from the classic movie, "Singin' In The Rain." Three of the main characters in the film are tired and faced with a challenge at work. Donald O'Connor's character jumps into action, singing and dancing one of Hollywood's greatest numbers, "Make 'Em Laugh." All of this in an effort to cheer up his friends and colleagues, Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds.
Is it time for you to jump into action and make some of the performers in your circus smile? What can you do to bring a smile to people's faces and lighten up a day? You don't have to be Donald O'Conner doing flips and jumping through walls. Here are some ideas:
- Buy a box of bagels on the way to work and celebrate, "Aren’t you glad it is Wednesday? day."
- Rent the movie "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" on St. Patrick's Day and watch it while eating corned beef and cabbage.
- Set up a "Nerf Hoop" in the office and play a mini 3 on 3 tournament during lunch. Nerf Hoops are great for games of "HORSE" as well.
- Celebrate "Talk Like a Pirate Day." Pass around a list of pirate language key words and phrases. Watch parts of the movie, "Pirates of the Caribbean" at lunch. Create an iPod playlist of pirate music and play throughout the day. If you need a list of songs, email us and I will let you know my favorites.
- Hire a comedian from the local comedy club and ask them to do a 30 minute stand up routine for a "stand up meeting." Or, if you are on a budget ask everyone to bring one of their favorite jokes and share it. Keep a book of clean jokes on your desk and bring out when needed. You'll be amazed how many people will come to your office and pick up the book when they need a smile.
- Create a bulletin board where employees can post humorous articles, jokes and pictures.
Record the Super Bowl commercials and show them on the Monday after. Let everyone vote for their favorites.
- Celebrate "Rivalry Week" and encourage people to dress up, decorate and celebrate their favorite teams. Make sure you keep it friendly.
To quote another favorite movie – Mary Poppins: "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find that fun and snap – the job's a game." (Just a Spoon Full of Sugar). Be creative. It doesn’t have to cost money or take a large amount of time. Take some of your ideas and try it at home and in your relationship ring as well.